Saturday, February 27, 2010

Menu modifications

The best laid plans of mice and men...
I did not follow my menu plan as originally written this week. We had several unexpected things come up, and by the end of the week, I was tired so we got fast food.

On Sunday, I cooked roast and gold potatoes in the crock pot. I cooked frozen green beans in the microwave to complete the meal. I bought about 4 lbs of roast. The three of us ate about 1/4 of it on Sunday. I divided another 1/4 in lunch-size portions. There was a lot of broth from the cooking. I probably put in too much water this time. I divided the broth and the rest of the meat between 2 containers and put them in the freezer. Later I will use them to make stroganoff stroganouf beef & noodles.

On Monday, Will was home! His work shift got canceled/postponed. So I made the fajitas.

On Tuesday, the power was out when we got home! The power came back on at 6:40. I pulled leftover roast and potatoes out of the fridge. I also cooked broccoli from the freezer.

On Wednesday, I made chicken & dumplings. I made it from scratch using self-rising flour to speed up the process. We had spinach to complete the meal.

On Thursday, I made macaroni and cheese with ham, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots mixed in. I had decided not to buy box mac & cheese. I made a white sauce and melted at least 6 oz of cheddar into it. The final dish wasn't as yellow or as strongly  cheesy as the box stuff, but that's because I didn't put any food coloring or MSG in mine. 

On Friday, we picked up some fast food. This allowed us to all eat together as a family even though Will was working til 9.

Saturday we had quesadillas for lunch. They were made with cooked spinach, salsa, leftover fajita meat I had frozen and, of course, cheese. For dinner we had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. The meatloaf had been frozen raw wrapped in foil. I put it in a baking dish still in the foil. I put it in the oven with out any pre-heating. This let the meatloaf thaw at a lower temperature so the outside was not burnt before the inside cooked. When the oven reached temp, I removed the foil because I like my meatloaf to brown. I also made ketchup, but that should probably be its own post.



No comments:

Post a Comment