Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My work in everyday life

Completely unrelated to what I've been putting on my blog: Anitbacterial soap is not necessary at home. How clean your hands are comes from how well and how long you scrub them, not the kind of soap you use. The usual waste water treatments take the chemicals in antibacterial soap and turn them into poisons that affect fish and other wildlife. At our house we use plain bars of soap. When I handle raw meat, I use liquid (dish) soap to wash my hands because bars of soap can harbor bacteria.
I help do research on how bacteria become resistant to drugs and how we can best use drugs to prevent resistance.

In case you wondered, this article describes why I have a job. Acinetobacter, polymyxin B, Gram-negative, and  other "technical jargon" terms in the article, as well as many others not included, are all every day words for me at work.

If you have questions about bacteria or antibiotics, I probably have an answer. If I don't, I know where to find the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment