Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bandwagons and Blog Carnivals

So, I started this blog because so many other people I know had them, it sounded like a good idea, and I thought it might be useful to some people. I've never been good with bandwagons, and it seems I've fallen off this one. The thing is, I did not have a clear plan as to how I would do this. I did not make a set time for blogging. I just figured I would just find the time somewhere. As you can see, that did not work.  But, now I'm going to get back on the blogging bandwagon! There are so many more people that I know on it now.

My goal is to get 52 posts published this year. That averages to posting once a week. Since I'm getting a late start, I'll have to catch up by posting more than once a week. Maybe I'll get in a groove and post more than 52 times this year. Maybe I'll slack off and have to post every day in December to meet my goal.

I'd like to think I could come up with an original blog post idea once a week. However, I know this is not always the case. I've thought of joining a blog carnival or two. Look for coming posts under headlines such as "Menu Plan Monday", "Works for Me Wednesday" and "Frugal Friday".

Since this may be my only post this week I'll start with "Frugal Menu Planning Works for Me on Wednesdays." I do my menu planning 2 (sometimes 3) weeks at a time and do my shopping for that time period. I do my best to go grocery shopping only twice each month. Since I work full-time, I go shopping on Saturdays. I like to have my list well planned out. I'm in fact OCD about having my list organized and thorough. (OCD is know on resumes as "detail oriented".) My grocery list is not just a list of random items. It is organized by area of the store, and includes how much I plan to spend on each item. I almost always know within $5 how much I will spend at the store. How do I do that? Some of it is remembering how much certain items I buy all the time cost. Most of it is using the sale ad from the grocery store to plan my menus. The store ads come out on Wednesdays. I start my planning on Wednesday, and by Saturday I have a very detailed list and menu. In an effort to post more often and provide material that may be useful to those who have decided to follow me, I thought I would document this process.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've found posting about once a week is a good goal - it remains fun without racking your brain for something to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something that I've done that helps tremendously is that I've built a price book in Excel. After a grocery trip, I look through my receipts and add things or update prices as needed. I have a set of columns--item, price, store, and quantity. This does two things: a) I have a much better idea of what items are loss leaders when I'm at the store and b) it helps me to have a pretty accurate idea of what little "extra" thing I may be able to squeeze in. Like sprinkles for cupcakes. ;-) :-) It sounds like a lot of work, but really it only takes me 15-20 minutes to update it each time.

    Look forward to seeing more from you! :-D

    ReplyDelete