Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Recipes

Here are two recipes that are cheap, simple, fairly healthy and fast. All of the ingredients are shelf stable in the pantry or the freezer. I consider these things to be staples that I always keep on hand. These aren't the most glamorous dishes, and I don't think I could get appetizing pictures of them. I consider these comfort foods, and like the fact that I can be dishing them up 30 minutes or so after I walk in the door.

If you know anything about cooking, you will wonder why I cook my rice uncovered. It's because my favorite saucepan does have a lid, but it does not fit tightly. When I would cook rice covered like the bag says to do, it would scorch because the water would boil away. So, these directions are what work for me with my cheap apartment appliances and inexpensive stainless steel cookware. The mac & cheese I get is the kind with the complete cheese sauce, no milk or butter needed. The Kroger brand is (imo) one up on the Velveeta because it does not have any food starch, etc., just cheese. I use broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in my tuna casserole because the cauliflower blends right in with the noodles. It doesn't look like there are overwhelming amounts of vegetable in your comfort food. You could use just cauliflower and it would completely blend in, but I like the bits of color from the broccoli and carrots. If I left anything else unexplained, that's what the comments are for.


I have also included prices. These are what I paid for store brand everything at my local Kroger, as best I remember.

Tuna Macaroni with Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots
small can of tuna ($.59)
box of mac and cheese sauce ($1.39)
12-16 oz bag of frozen veggies ($.88-$1)
Cost $3
Serves 4
Directions:
Boil water in a large pot.
Add noodles.
Wait until water comes back to boiling, then wait 5 more minutes.
Add bag of veggies, cook until desired softness.
Drain.
Add cheese sauce and undrained can of tuna.
Serve.


Chicken and Rice
Serves:4
1 can chicken $1-$1.5
1 c. white rice $.50 or less
1 small can mushrooms $.59
16 oz. bag of peas and diced carrots $1
Cost: $3-$4

Spray 2qt sauce pan with cooking spray.
Add rice.
Drain chicken and mushrooms into a measuring cup.
Add that liquid to rice plus enough water to equal 2 c.
Cook rice uncovered until most of the water is absorbed.
Add frozen veggies to taste and 1c. water. (Stirring makes the rice more sticky than otherwise.)
Cook until rice is tender, adding more water if needed (using low heat, you won't need it, higher heat your rice will stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Ask me how I know.)
Stir in mushrooms and chicken, heat through, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with grated cheese if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... These sound good. And I am always on the lookout for quick, easy, cheap recipes.

    ReplyDelete